USS Albany CG-10 
by Chris Hewitt 
ALBANY-01

1/700 USS Albany CG-10 (Cyber-Hobby)

History  on USS Albany

USS Albany (CA-123) was a United States Navy Oregon City-class heavy cruiser, later converted to the guided missile cruiser CG-10. The converted cruiser was the lead ship of the new Albany guided missile cruiser class. She was the fourth ship to carry the name Albany.  The ship was laid down on 6 March 1944 at Quincy, Massachusetts, by the Bethlehem Steel Company, launched on 30 June 1945, sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth F. Pinckney, and commissioned on 15 June 1946 at the Boston Navy Yard, Captain Harold A. Carlisle in command. On 30 June 1958, Albany was placed out of commission at the Boston Naval Shipyard to begin conversion to a guided missile cruiser. On 1 November 1958, she was redesignated CG-10. The warship spent the next four years at Boston undergoing very extensive modifications as part of the conversion. The ship was recommissioned at Boston on 3 November 1962, Captain Ben B. Pickett in command. For almost five years, she again alternated deployments to European waters both to the Mediterranean Sea and to the North Atlantic with operations along the east coast and in the West Indies. During that time, the cruiser visited many foreign ports and participated in a number of exercises with units of friendly navies. On 1 March 1967, she was decommissioned at the Boston Naval Shipyard once again to undergo extensive modifications. Some 20 months later, on 9 November 1968, the guided missile cruiser was placed back in commission at Boston, Captain Allan P. Slaff in command. In 1973 the ship was again decommissioned for overhaul at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. It was recommissioned in May 1974 and homeported in Norfolk, VA under the command of Captain John J. Ekelund. Shortly thereafter it became the flagship of the 2nd Fleet. Between 1976 and 1980, Albany was the flagship of the 6th Fleet, and homeported in Gaeta, Italy. Albany was decommissioned on 29 August 1980. She was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 30 June 1985 and sold for scrapping on 12 August 1990.

This kit was built with the additions from P.E. from the Gold Medals models ,plus some scratching build around the second funnel for more details
 

Chris Hewitt


Gallery updated 2013

© ModelWarships.com