by Graham Symmonds
1/72 HMCS Sorel - Flower Class Corvette (Revell)
This is Revell’s Flower Class Corvette heavily modified to a Canadian Flower with the help of Great Little Ships details sets (most of them!), some scratch building, some 3D printed parts and some structural changes. Gunthwaite figures were added to give some life to the ship.
The “Canadianization” of the ship included:
- Squaring off the stern by heating with boiling water and forming over a balsa wood mold made using the reference work “Anatomy of the Ship: The Flower Class Corvette Agassiz” produced by John McKay and John Harland.
- Moving the 2-pound pom-pom gun aft.
- Adding the searchlight and platform.
- Extending the boat deck aft to provide a covered weather deck location.
- Providing a new galley.
- Extending the galley vent.
- Changing the bridge layout.
- Adding the 27’ whaler and davits (vs 16’ dinghys).
- Adding the combined depth-charge and thrower storage.
- Changing the blast screen ahead of the wheelhouse.
- Modifying the Engine Room casing (adding watertight doors etc).